GROUNDWATER CONTROL DESIGN AND
MODELLING IN PRACTICE
Join us for four days of practical workshops in Faro, Portugal where you
will learn the fundamentals of groundwater control design and hands on
application of the modelling of groundwater flow and contaminant
transport within a groundwater flow field.
Receive complimentary licenses for OGI’s groundwater flow and
transport models, CVM10-PRO and GEMOS-LITE. Apply these models to
many practical groundwater case studies.
This event is intended for practicing engineers or hydrogeologists who
have some existing understanding of groundwater flow basics, and
have a desire to increase their design and modelling skills.
THIS COURSE WILL BE TAUGHT IN ENGLISH
These workshops are aimed an industry professionals from across
Europe who work within the construction industry.
It provides essential Continuing Professional Development for:
· Geotechnical Engineers
· Engineering Geologists
· Temporary Works Engineers
· Engineering Consultants
· Project Managers
· Aquifer Properties – Permeability and Storage
· Darcy’s Law and the Well Flow Equations.
· Well Performance – Screen Yield and Ground Yield
· Multiple Well Analysis using GEMOS (Groundwater Engineering &
Management Optimisation Software)
· Simulate multi-well water table drawdown beneath a shaft
Whenever an excavation is required below the water table there is a
high risk that the sides will become unstable or flood unless measures
are taken to control the groundwater in the surrounding soil. This
seminar and workshop will provide guidance on how a multiple well
groundwater control system can intercept the groundwater to
prevent inflow to the excavation. This will be illustrated using GEMOSLITE,
a tool for simulating multi-well steady state groundwater flow in
confined and unconfined aquifers.
· Numerical Groundwater Modelling Techniques
· The Groundwater Flow Equation
· Setting up a Finite Element Model
· Simulating an Aquifer Pumping Test.
The attendee will use CVM10-LITE to model the pump test. It is a
finite element model for transient groundwater flow in
confined, unconfined and leaky aquifers. This model enables the
user to determine soil parameters such as permeability,
storativity and leakage coefficient from aquifer pump and
· Principles of contaminant transport modelling
· The advection-dispersion equation
· Modelling contaminant migration in a uniform groundwater flow field
· Combined groundwater flow and contaminant transport models
· Illustration of 2D contaminant migration using OGI case studies
· Demonstration of the application of 2D groundwater flow model SEEP/
W and coupled groundwater flow and soil deformation using PLAXIS
2D. Presentation of a number of OGI case studies, including simulation
· Groundwater flow under a cut-off wall into an open excavation.
· Pore-pressure relief wells inside an excavation to prevent base heave.
· Groundwater control around battered excavation to increase soil
strength and stability.
Eur Ing Dr Stephen Thomas is a chartered British and European Civil
Engineer, and Fellow of the Institution of Civil Engineers. He is a registered
Ground Engineering Adviser (RoGEP), with a first class honours degree in Civil
Engineering and MSc from the University of Wales, a Doctorate from Oxford
University and MBA from Durham University. Stephen is also an Honorary
Fellow at the Durham University Department of Earth Sciences. Stephen is
Managing Director of OGI Groundwater Specialists which he founded 1989.
This year celebrates 28 years of continued business, solving groundwater
problems in soft ground throughout the UK and overseas.
George French started working at OGI in 2015, soon after graduating from
Durham University where he achieved a MSci honours degree in Geoscience.
George is an expert in the modelling of complex groundwater control
systems, contaminant transport in groundwater flow fields, and coupled
groundwater flow and soil deformation problems. He also been involved in
the design and development of the latest OGI groundwater modelling
products such as CVM10-PRO.
Address: Rua Baptista Severino – Urbanização
Monte da Ria
Phone: +351 289 895 060
The price of the ticket does not include accommodation, however Bed
and Breakfast can be bought directly from Hotel Monaco for a special
rate of €53 per night.